How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a departed relative or you chose to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to people who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, about 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would help almost 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really troubling. Because health problems like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. The importance of your hearing to your overall health is backed up by new studies coming out regularly. These health problems can be avoided and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And the last convincing point is that loss of hearing can cost the average family $12,000 in income every year. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have a big effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into college and make a livable wage when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by many manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the correct recycling option for you. Or you can just give us a call.